Good World Gone Bad Environment

5.0.5. Climate Change In Numbers

The numbers mentioned in the video, while very important, are not the only numbers to keep in mind in terms of climate change. So if you have the appetite for more, here are 5 more climate change numbers. 

Remember when climate change was called global warming? That’s because the earth has gotten really hot in the last few years. In the 17 years since the 21st Century began, we’ve lived through the 9 hottest years of all time! The 10th hottest year was 1998, just 2 years prior. The winner in the Number #1 position is the year 2010, which is the hottest year ever recorded since recording began in 1880. 

87% 

If you thought the smog in Delhi is bad, get a load of this. 87% of the earth’s population lives in places where the air is worse than what is permitted according to WHO guidelines. China and India are the worst because of their rapid rate of industrialisation, improper regulation standards and growing populations. However, western Canada, parts of South America and the Middle East are also in bad shape. At this increasing rate of air pollution, it’s no wonder that the climate change crisis is so real.

95% 

From all the scientists researching this changing climate phenomenon, 95% agree that climate change is caused by human activity.  Seems pretty obvious, right? Umm, nope. That remaining 5% has directly or indirectly caused quite a bit of trouble for those trying to fight climate change. When oil lobbyists want to shut down clean energy legislation, they cite this 5%. When politicians want to protect their business interests, they cite this 5%. When President Donald Trump pulled out of the Paris Climate Agreement, guess what? Yup, he cited this 5%. Puts a damper on trying to make the earth a livable place, doesn’t it?

129 

That’s how many billions of dollars we’ve lost globally in 2016 from all the weather-related events that took place that year.

All these disasters not only bill out millions in property and infrastructure loss but also have an enormous negative impact on global labor productivity, the spread of infectious diseases and exposure to heatwaves and pollution – all of which accounts for billions!

4,00,000

One report from 2012 linked 4,00,000 deaths worldwide to climate change each year, projecting deaths to increase to over 6,00,000 per year by 2030. These deaths included those caused by food insecurity, malnutrition, and lack of water safety. To put that in perspective, terrorist attacks killed 18,000 people in 2013. 

5.0.5. Climate Change In Numbers was last modified: by
Comments
To Top